Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Iraq War

My thoughts on the Iraq War before I took this class were somewhat direct in opposition of it entirely. I supported the invasion into Afghanistan, yet I was outright against committing our troops into Iraq. As of today, the U.S. has committed over five hundred billion dollars into a war that was financed by treasury bonds (loans), that tax payers have to pay the interest on before even coughing up the principal. Some of our troops have done multiple tours in Iraq, yet they still do not know what they will be able to come back home permanently. If you read my last three sentences, I think you can somewhat understand my feelings on the situation.

Has my opinion changed since this class began? No, nor will they ever. Bring our troops home, and quit printing money that we do not even have to spend!

2 comments:

amanda williams said...

Point well taken! And I agree with you!!

Jonathan Humberson said...

I can respect most of this, but the "nor will they ever" part is... kinda ridiculous, really.

If you're so dead-set in your opinions that nothing can change your mind, then you've sacrificed the open-mindedness that allows people to change and grow.

Now, this may be a relatively minor matter in the grand scheme of your life, but that attitude can spread easily, and I don't really see what you get out of refusing to acknowledge the possibility that you might be wrong.