"Hurricanes are increasing in number and ferocity."
I will definitely say that this is a true statement (topic) that brings resonance to a thoughtful argument. You can argue that statement, but only lightly as the facts (consistently released every year by NOAA) provide substantial basis for the factual statement.
"Many people die annually of cancer."
This statement (topic) is true, but the word "many" can be argued as it is not definitive in is value (number). Although, it is a fact that "many", as in great numbers of people (individuals) do die annually of cancer, and this rate of death is steadily increasing not just here in the United States, but globally.
"Fewer people would die of heart disease each year if more of them paid attention to their diets."
I must say that this is "not" worth arguing, not because it is "true", but because the scope of the topic dramatically extends farther then the mentioned reasoning of watching a persons diet. Need I say genetics and lifestyle...?
"Japan might have come to terms more readily in 1945 if the Allies hadn't demanded unconditional surrender."
This is a somewhat "controversial" topic, mainly because the culture of the Japanese needs to be examined before ever making a statement such that above. If you argue this topic, you are arguing history, which can't be changed, only debated as to its other possibilities. Basically, am I Japanese? Did I live in Japan during WWII? Do I understand the Japanese culture enough to have an argument? No, no, and no.
"Boys would do better in school if there were more men teaching in the elementary and secondary classrooms."
This topic can be argued, but I am sure you will get "mixed" responses to such a topic, as this statement seems very opinionated, and not at all factual, or proven extensively by studies.
"The ever-increasing number of minorities in higher education is evidence that racial problems have just about ended in the United States."
As myself being a minority, I must say that I would definitely have "plenty" to say about this topic in a college audience. This is a completely opinionated statement with no factual basis or support. In fact, there is truly an increasing number of minorities in penitentiaries, more then those engaging in higher education, yet this topic by itself can bring "deep" thoughts on even a broader scope. It will bring an argument, I can assure you. Next!
"There aren't enough high-paying jobs for college graduates these days."
The fact of the matter is that most college graduates have to compete to get the high-paying jobs, and they must also have the academic success to lead the way. You determine that, and let it be known that this topic is very opinionated also. I would not even bother to argue such a statement (topic).
"Hydrogen may never be a viable alternative to fossil fuels because it takes too much energy to change hydrogen into a usable form."
The term "may" and "never" seem to bring light to an argument because technology advances and you can go to the state of Utah to see hydrogen cars in action. In fact, it is a dramatically cheaper alternative over gasoline, and the technology is being advanced upon every year for even more efficiency. Go read a "Popular Science" magazine and learn something...
"Only one of the first forty-three presidents of the United States was a Catholic."
This statement (topic) has little, but some basis for an argument, but the facts are clear and direct regarding any debate that might come about. You cannot dispute history, or can you? It's like taking text out of a history book and saying it's wrong...
"Political activists have grossly exaggerated the effects of the USA Patriot Act on free expression."
I personally would argue this to my last hour. This statement (topic) is very negatively and incorrectly referenced, and you do not need the ACLU to tell you. Let easily say that the Patriot Act has yet to be fully "interpreted" as to what it allows "Uncle Sam" to do and not do. The U.S. Supreme Court has plenty of years to define the Patriot Act, but until then, do not expect to have privacy or free expression in America. That's my two cents.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment