Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Sosnoski Reading

After reading the various pages of James Sosnoski's thoughts on Hyper-reading, I have to honestly say that I do not agree with some of his observations. He is very astute with clarity in his thoughts, but he reminds me of a clueless right-wing conservative who thinks that increasing drilling in Gulf of Mexico and Alaska will displace high oil prices forever. Hyper-reading will definitely displace reading printed material, as it is already happening before our eyes at a phenominal rate every year. Newpaper companies are struggling retain market share as the internet becomes the next television of information. Newspapers made of inky cellulose are losing readers everyday.

Younger and more affluent readers tend to read newspaper websites, if they care to read news at all. As a student, hyper-reading is as much a necessity as a car in today's world. The power of search on the internet provides a harness of information suited for anyones need at anytime of the day or night. We are no longer restrained to the regular business day hours of a library, as we don't even need to leave the house anymore. I must agree that hyper-reading is an ongoing practice, though I always thought that practice makes perfect.

Sure, it has its cons, as it effectively shus out the context of information that printed material might provide, but it still retains its heirarchy in my book anyday.

1 comment:

Shari Benyousky said...

I have to agree with you on this one!